Monday, August 2, 2021

PLAYING WITH WATER AND STONE AT LOCH DIRIDEAN.

 


We had noted during last Sunday’s walk to Loch Diridean that the levels were way down and I was able to walk with relative ease across the old stone crossing to where once in the distant past there was a sheep fank. There is little trace now other than a few stones that resemble the foundations of a hut.

Today’s concrete walled sheep fank is located to the south east, closer to Tolsta at the divide of the track leading out to Alit na Muilne. Prior to this there was a wooden sheep fank further out along the track and the remnants of this can still be seen, like some weather beaten wood-henge.

As the bride of the Hebrides descended once more I decided to take a stroll out onto the moor and see if there was perhaps more breeze out at the end of the track. As I reached Loch Diridean I could feel the sun pushing through and the fog began to clear. Having made my way down to the sheep fank crossing I found myself wading in the warm waters and decided to lift a few stones.


Once started it’s not easy to stop, and over the next hour or more I amused myself in consolidating and raising the crossing. It may now even be possible to cross beyond the summer and drought conditions. I wonder if anyone will notice.                                                    

No comments:

Post a Comment