Wednesday, July 19, 2023

A WEEK LIKE NO OTHER

 


This has been a week of high drama in New Tolsta. The first took place on Tuesday when out on my evening walk with Donald I was attacked by Harry. Harry being a one tone bottle fed bullock. He charged me at close quarters as we made our way past the group and if I hadn’t managed to roll to the left as I fell heavily onto the road then he would have trampled me and I’m convinced that would have been the end. However I was up on my feet as he turned for the second go, and got a foot to the side of his head before he then tumbled me into the ditch. It is amazing how fast one can move when your life is in danger, and I scrambled out onto higher and rougher ground like someone forty years my junior. The bullock then turned his attention on Donald who was further up the track and I screamed at him to get off the road. Thankfully for us a large van came up from Traigh Mhor car park and pushed the cattle along the road towards the cattle grid, which gave us time to get over the fence and make our way back across the croft. I was limping badly and could see through the hole in my trousers that my left knee was bleeding. Donald drove me into Stornoway Hospital for a check-up at A&E where they found nothing broken, but were shocked at my misadventure. It was the last thing I needed having undergone radio therapy on my back for prostate related bone cancer earlier in the year. I have been conscious all summer of taking things at a slower pace while still trying to remain reasonably active. Battered, bruised and traumatised by the event I slept badly, but by Saturday evening I felt I should get out on the road again for a short walk at least. I took my stick with me although I knew Harry was now confined to barracks for what remained of his life. When the owner came to apologise he also promised me a prime cut, and even though I am, for all practical purposes vegetarian, I accepted the offer. On the way down the hill I kept stopping and turning just to make sure nothing was following me and as I passed the spot I found my breathing getting laboured. I pressed on slowly to what we call windy corner; the headland between Garry and Traigh Mhor beach, and noticed a school of what I assumed were Minky whales about four hundred yards off the beach. It was difficult to say how many there were as they circled in what I though was a rather frenzied manner, and I assumed they were feeding on a big shoal of fish. It had been a blustery wet day and I was the only one venturing out that evening. The final steep slope beyond the cattle grid was a slog and I was thankful of being able to get home and avoid any downpours.

Sunday morning, and Donald called by to see how I was, and I told him I’d gone out for  short walk, but totally forgot to say anything about the Pilot Whale sighting. Even when he said there had been a lot of coastguard activity and police down at Traigh Mhor it still didn’t dawn on me that it could have anything to do with the previous evenings sighting. Another day of rain meant I was looking forward to lighting the fire in the studio and ignoring the inclement weather. However from my studio window I could see there was even more activity down the road as two fire engines arrived. They remained there all morning and after lunch I couldn’t contain my curiosity any longer. I donned wet weather gear, heading down the croft and across the machair. As soon as I reached the high point where the entire length of the beach is visible I could see it. Just below the cemetery stream outlet there was a group of people in high visibility jackets, and something else. I got my binoculars out and was horrified to see the beach littered with black bodies. I made my way down onto the footpath that runs behind the dunes only coming out above the beach a hundred yards from the disaster. Just below me someone was struggling up with a large bag and heavy camera equipment. I recognised John from the local Gaelic TV station and he explained that over fifty Pilot whales had swum up onto the beach to die there. The entire group including young had breathed their last. It is intensely sad and beyond our understanding, and although they will perform autopsies I’m sure they will find nothing wrong. The urgent question now as we head into high tourist season is what to do with all the bodies. So many decaying cadavers will produce a stink, but my mind was already racing way ahead wondering just how many chess sets or pieces of artwork might be made from so much bone. In the past the islanders had so little that they became very adept at making use of everything. Unfortunately today, just like those on the mainland many have so much that they are constantly throwing stuff away. It is rarely a question of repairing and even the charity shops have difficulty coping with the shear mass of admittedly rather cheaply made stuff. We have for years been throwing our heritage into landfill, and replacing it with inferior quality goods that’s only redeeming feature is that it claims to be made from recyclable materials. Harry’s boisterous belligerence was easy to understand and the solution is obvious, but what do you do with fifty five dead whales?        

No comments:

Post a Comment