Saturday, September 28, 2024

BIRTHDAY CAKE AND CARLOWAY

 


What goes through that woman’s head, not a lot, or way too much of the wrong thing. Having missed making it out to New Tolsta on the day she then four days later sends a cake out on the bus of all things complaining of a heavy work schedule. That sort of thing could only happen on the islands, a birthday cake delivered to the door, but when I saw the cake I realised why nobody had devoured it on the way.

A shop bought caterpillar chocolate cake, looking like it should carry a government warning, as all foodstuff intended for children warrants these days. And now having looked at the box it actually does carry a warring of sorts for high sugar and saturated fats. The list of ingredients looks like it could compete with the list of casualties on the Titanic. What’s beeswax and carnauba wax doing in cake, and radish concentrate, for God’s sake! Despite that it tasted quite good, but in order to fit into the cake tin I had to have a second slice, not a good move, felt seriously sick for the rest of the evening. Does Tottie want to add diabetes to the rest of my ailments? This morning I put a slice out on the bird table, but the blackbird that keeps an eagle eye on everything I put out took one look at it and flew off.

I had my monthly bloods taken yesterday and a frank conversation about my weight, not that it seem to be going up much now. I referred to my legs and stomach as being fat covered and wondered if this was what women of a certain age had to contend with. I was told they preferred to call it a soft covering, which does sound a much nicer way of putting it, but it’s still fat to me. In the afternoon I had jag in the rear to top up the female hormones for another six months. The old gender issue is getting increasingly confusing for me, and I’m not the only as I was told that in the Stornoway Nicholson Institute there two students who identify as rabbits. Well that’s fine as long as they don’t go breading like rabbits, and don’t come round here because I’ve set snares in my garden but as yet caught nothing.

I must not forget the creative side of my life, for it is that which keeps me sane, or at least that is my perception of things. Last evening I completed a blanket embroidery of Carloway pier. Still a busy place and providing an interesting dual aspect composition. I’ve got another three lined up as subject matter during my time in WA, but there are another dozen or more that require investigation on my return.   

No comments:

Post a Comment