Sunday, September 1, 2024

A VERY STRANGE SUMMER.

 



 



I’ve just had my twelfth visitor of the year and now feel I do merit that rather strange accolade of the least visited attraction in the Western Isles. I’m sure most places have noticed what a wet summer can do for trade, and I have to admit I’ve stopped bothering to put the open sign up even if the sun does show its face, telling myself I’m far too busy to be having interruptions. 


The garden is already looking somewhat autumnal but with some late colour and there is still time for a second spurt of growth, and many of the trees are already showing signs of that. I’m taking the odd day off for a jolly to look at a few more piers and harbours dotted around the island. I drove over to Point which everyone told me was not worth the trip and found it fascinating. I suppose that’s the artist’s eye. Both harbour and light house will provide valuable material as will the pier at Bayble. I’ve also had a Tottie free week, but that doesn’t mean to say she hasn’t been sniffing around when I was out. She said she was doing some delving into her family tree. I’m being careful not to let her know about my trip to Western Australia, and I’m certainly not about to tell her I’ll be staying with my friends Charley and Lara Nadin. I’m sure she’d also be volunteering to house sit while I’m away, thankfully I’ve already got that one covered. 

Tottie. I’ve hardly moved from my computer this week as besides work I’ve been researching my Nadin family tree. Turning up some interesting stuff world wide.

Since Tom told me of his cancer I’ve made it a point of calling in on my way to or from the beach. He’s not always in, but when he is he seems relaxed to the point that rather than stopping to make me a cup of tea he asked me to make him one and bring it out to the studio, while he continues on with his new project. I find it hard to believe Tom has only had thirteen visitors (not counting my own) but then this summer has been exceptional and continues to be so. The accolade of the least visited attraction on the Western Isles has been well earned, and the point was driven home on my most recent visit when I walked straight into a cobweb across the door and a second brushed my face as I wandered around. I know Tom is not one for dusting, but when spiders start to take over one must begin to ask questions. He no longer bothers to put his open sign up and I wouldn’t be surprised if he wasn’t a little depressed. However he seems remarkably cheerful and becomes quite animated when talking about his latest embroideries depicting local harbour scenes. I’m not sure that these explain totally his upbeat mood. Maybe his upcoming London show is giving him a wee boost, I don’t know. 


Anyway that show is certain to be a head turner  as it was back in 2019 when he exhibited them at An Lanntair in Stornoway, but this time these biblical images are being offered for sale. They represent two and a half years of his life, and as he put it the most intense period of embroidery work he has ever done. Even he admits difficulty in imagining just how he produced the body of work. They are remarkable and will be exhibited under the title “The Master Works”. I couldn’t get a price out of him, but it is obvious that one would require deep pockets. It is indeed refreshing to see someone prepared to raise the bar and demand to be correctly paid for such extra ordinary work. For too long has the skill of needle work been unappreciated and undervalued. Looked on as women’s work it is easy to see how this has come about.




        

 

 

 

      

 

           

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment